Monday, June 13, 2005

No Joy in Joyland anymore

One of my childhood hangouts was Joyland in Wichita, Kansas. Unfortunately the park was outdated even 30 years ago. I remember at least a couple of kids getting killed on the roller coaster, but I also had a lot of fun there. The giant slide was always the best deal -- you could usually ride it all day on a kid's pocket change. It also had great bumper cars, and a haunted house that I would never enter even as a teenager.

I would play skee-ball until my arm would fall off, and redeem the tickets for a bunch of worthless plastic junk. They had a trash receptacle with a vacuum attached to it shaped like a giant pig. If you held your trash in front of the pig's mouth, it got sucked in.

Ah, memories.

Oh, it's now up for sale on ebay.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a website with lots of Joyland photos and videos. www.rememberjoyland.com

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home