Friday, April 01, 2005

Medical Moebius Strip

This is a rough transcript of the phone call with my doctor's office (actually a branch in another city where the older paper records are stored).



    Me: I would like to know if anyone else is on record as being able to access my medical information.




    Them: We need a signed release to access your file.





    Me: I don't want any information released, I just want to know if someone else has access to it.




    Them: Yes, we can't look at your file without a release.




    Me: But how do you know if I am authorized to grant access to my records without looking at my file?




    Them: We need you to sign a release to access your file.




    Me: I don't want to know WHO it is, nor do I want to change it. I just want to know if someone other than myself is on record in my file, and able to access my medical information.




    Them: We would need a signed release to do that.




    Me: If a stranger requested access to my medical records, would you first look in the file and see if they were able to access them, and if they weren't, isn't that releasing the same information I am requesting? Is a signed release required in that case? If a signed release is required, what's the point of putting them in the file saying they can access my records without a release?




    Them: I am not sure, I would have to talk to my manager.





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, did this actually happen to you? The new HIPPA (Health Information Portability and Privacy Act) that was passed a few years ago is responsible for this. It's got everyone so scared to do anything with regards to medical information for fear of federal prosecution that everyone's response to everything (not an unreasonable superlative) is "we need a signed realease for that". Beacuse of the legalese now required for medical information release forms, our form went from 1/2 page to over 3 pages. Many physicians feel thiese new laws have substantially negatively affected the quality of care that can be given because of limited, complicated and delayed access to a patient's medical information. Classic case of non-medical personel trying to regulate the medical profession. It would be like me passing a law stating how you were allowed to format you computer - imagne how frustrating that would be.
B
Don't get me started on the whole "Pain as a Fith Vital Sign" thing.null

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home